Jagdeep Dhankhar’s victory margin within the newest Vice-Presidential ballot is the highest victory margin within the final six vice-presidential polls.
File picture of present Vice President of India Jagdeep Dhankhar. (PTI)
- Jagdeep Dhankhar was elected because the 14th Vice-President of India on Saturday
- Dhankhar secured 72.8% votes of the whole 725 legitimate votes
- Dhankhar acquired 528 votes whereas Margaret Alva received 182 votes
National Democratic Alliance (NDA) candidate and former West Bengal governor Jagdeep Dhankhar was elected because the 14th Vice-President of India on Saturday, sweeping away the vote financial institution and defeating joint opposition candidate Margaret Alva.
Jagdeep Dhankhar acquired 528 votes whereas Margaret Alva received 182 votes.
With securing 72.8% votes towards his rival, Dhankhar’s victory clearly indicators the continued supremacy of Prime Minister Narendra Modi-led Bharatiya Janata Party. The BJP now holds all the important thing positions from President, V-P to Lok Sabha Speaker.
Jagdeep Dhankhar’s victory margin by securing 72.8% of the 725 legitimate votes forged throughout the V-P polls is the highest margin within the final six vice-presidential polls since 1997, TOI reported.
While KR Narayanan nonetheless leads the record for having the highest victory margin by securing 700 of the 701 votes forged in 1992, Dhankhar’s efficiency within the newest polls outshined Naidu’s 2017 efficiency by 2%.
The 71-year-old Jagdeep Dhankar is the primary BJP nominee for the V-P put up to not have began his political journey within the Sangh Parivar.
Congress’ Mohammad Hamid Ansari gained 60.51% votes of the whole 762 legitimate votes within the 2007 Vice-President Election. He remained V-P from 2007 to 2017.
In the 2017 V-P polls, Venkaiah Naidu gained with 67.89% votes of the whole 760 legitimate votes.
Key information about new V-P Jagdeep Dhankhar
1. Jagdeep Dhankhar is the second Vice-President from Rajasthan after Bhairon Singh Shekhawat.
2. Being born in an agrarian family in a distant village in Rajasthan, Jagdeep Dhankhar grew to become one of many main attorneys in Rajasthan and practiced in each the Rajasthan High Court and the Supreme Court. He additionally headed the Rajasthan High Court Bar Association.
3. He entered politics in 1989 and was elected to Lok Sabha from Rajasthan’s Jhunjhunu the identical 12 months. He served as a minister of state for Parliamentary Affairs within the Janata Dal authorities led by Chandra Shekhar.
4. Jagdeep Dhankar went on to turn out to be the Governor of West Bengal in 2019.
5. He has championed points associated to Other Backward Classes (OBC), together with the grant of OBC standing to the Jat neighborhood in Rajasthan.
— ENDS —