Menu Close

Bus crash on highway in Croatia kills at least 12 people

ZAGREB: A Poland-registered bus carrying pilgrims to a shrine in Bosnia skidded from a highway in northern Croatia early Saturday, killing at least 12 people and injuring a number of others, police and officers mentioned. Croatian police mentioned on Twitter that “in the skidding of a bus with Polish license plates, according to initial information from the field, 11 people died and several were injured”.
Officials mentioned another passenger died later in a hospital and that the bus was carrying 43 people.
Croatia’s state HRT tv reported that about 30 people have been injured, many severely. It mentioned the more than likely reason for the crash was the motive force falling asleep.
The broadcaster confirmed video of a smashed blue bus in a ditch subsequent to the highway. The bus was travelling in the course of Zagreb, Croatia’s capital.
Polish Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki mentioned the bus was taking pilgrims to the Catholic shrine in Medjugorje, a city in southern Bosnia. The shrine is Europe’s third-most common pilgrimage vacation spot after Lourdes and Fatima, though the Vatican has not verified any of the reported miracles that witnesses claimed to have seen there.
“This morning, I spoke about the details of the tragedy with Croatian Prime Minister Andrej Plenkovic, who assured the full support of Croatian medical services,” Morawiecki mentioned on Facebook.
“I recommended our consular services to organise a support organisation for the families of accident participants.”
Croatian Interior Minister Davor Bozinic mentioned the bus originated from “a place near Warsaw” and that “according to some information,” it was carrying pilgrims to Medjugorje.
The accident occurred at 5:40 a.m. native time (3:40 a.m. GMT) some 50 kilometers (30 miles) north of Zagreb, on the A-4 highway, which is busy through the peak of the vacationer season.
Rescue groups have been despatched to the placement of the accident. An investigation into the accident was ongoing, Croatian media reported.