Chris, Melanie, and Zack contemplate the financial measures taken by the United States and Europe to punish Russia for its invasion of Ukraine, particularly these pertaining to oil and pure gasoline. To what extent are these insurance policies accountable for rising gasoline costs? Can different measures be taken to change Russian oil on the worldwide market? Or ought to Western governments additionally make use of demand restrictions, together with presumably obligatory measures to discourage or forestall vitality utilization? And what political value ought to democratically elected governments be keen to pay so as to affirm the ethical and strategic crucial of defeating Russia’s aggression in opposition to Ukraine? Grievances for Columbia’s Jeffrey Sachs who claimed that COVID originated in a U.S. lab, for super-virtuous individuals who take to Twitter on the Fourth of July to discuss how horrible the United States is, and towards self-absorbed TikTokers referred to as “Gentleminions.” Attapeople to FIRE (the Foundation for Individual Rights and Expression) and to the Quincy Institute for a sensible report on defending Asia, and an atta-thing for all of the ways in which computer systems make our lives higher (till they kill us).
- Henry Farrell and Abraham L. Newman, “Weaponized Interdependence: How Global Economic Networks Shape State Coercion,” International Security 44:1 (Summer 2019).
- Ashish Valentine, “Are sanctions actually hurting Russia’s economy? Here’s what you need to know,” NPR, July 1, 2022.
- Gregory Brew, “Oil Prices Will Likely Rise to $150 a Barrel Soon,” Foreign Policy, June 8, 2022.
- Greg Ip, “Gas Prices Test American Appetite for New Cold War with Russia,” The Wall Street Journal, June 29, 2022.
- Emily Holland And Marco Giuli, “The Urgent Case for Energy Austerity,” War on the Rocks, March 24, 2022.
- Erielle Sudario, “Cinemas are now canceling screenings of ‘Minions: The Rise of Gru’ over Gentleminions trend,” MSN, July 4, 2022.
- Catherine Rampell, “Democrats Had an Opportunity for a Major Political Realignment. They Blew It,” The Washington Post, June 23, 2022.
- “Biden Launches $6 Billion Effort to Save America’s Distressed Nuclear Plants,” The Guardian, April 19, 2022.
- “Facing Record Inflation, Biden Chides Exxon, Oil Companies for Profits,” Reuters, June 11, 2022.
- Myles McCormick, “US Oil Producers Ignore Biden’s Rallying Call to Drill,” Financial Times, June 11, 2022.
- “Big Oil’s Diverging Bets on the Future of Energy,” Economist, December 16, 2020.
- Scott Lincicome, “Fueling Uncertainty,” CATO, June 22, 2022.
- Michael Shellenberger, Tweet, July 4, 2022.
- Rachel Esplin Odell, Eric Heginbotham, John Culver, Eric Gomez, Brian Killough, Steven Kosiak, Jessica J. Lee, Brad Martin, Mike Mochizuki, and Michael Swaine, “Active Denial: A Roadmap to a More Effective, Stabilizing, and Sustainable U.S. Defense Strategy in Asia,” Quincy Paper No. 8, June 22, 2022.
Image: Ninara, Creative Commons